Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Mulling A-909 counterweight priming

The counterweight is made of stainless steel. It is wrapped around with the Flapperon nose skin as shown in last post pictures. My concern was that the contact between the two different metals: pure AL from the All-clad skin and stainless steel of the tube might be prone to galvanic corrosion. I posted my concerns on VAF at: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=68433
The answer is that there is a possibility so I sprayed the counterweights with the NAPA 7220 self etching primer after scuffing them with a scotchbrite pad. I had to unrivet the A1204 ribs which is no problem as the steel tube is hard enough to take several rivet/unrivet cycles (I am at 2 for the right flapperon!). BTW I'm using a rattle can for the NAPA 7220, very convenient for small jobs like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment