Sunday, June 13, 2010

Things are moving fast!

I received notification from VAN of the delivery of the empennage and fastener kits for tomorrow, Monday June 14. I also got the serial number of my RV-12: 395. The crate to be delivered is 205 pounds and the trucking company will download it at the curb. I asked for help to move the crate into my workshop which is 35 feet from the road side. I got great response from my local EAA chapter 1114 and will have three aids coming including the president! As my RV-12 will be the first in the Triangle area, it will, no doubt, attract some interest, particularly among RVers.
Yesterday I had my first encounter with a live RV-12... It was prototype number 3 built by Mitch Lock who is also the East Coast VAN representative. This took place in Wilmington at KILM, the Wilmington International Airport where the local EAA chapter 297 had a fly-in.
My impression was 100% conform to my expectations, the only downside was the unavailability of check rides (for insurance purpose). Sitting in the plane and making Rotax noise was as close as I could get of flying an RV-12... I also had confirmation of all what I had read about this plane: cockpit roominess, visibility (seats on the front edge of the wings) and easy access to the cockpit.
Tomorrow I will get a view of the disassembled version right in my backyard: I cannot wait!   

No comments:

Post a Comment