Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Progress Report on Wings

Sorry, I have let this Blog down during the Thanksgiving period although I continued to work on the wings. The Deburring and Fluting of the Ribs was quite time consuming and when all the parts were ready I took them to the Alodine treatment in Greensboro. I took also all the spars except the main wing spars which are already anodized for corrosion protection.
Here are the ribs all ready for alodine:





Back all alodined on the shelf, ready for wing skeleton assembly:
Let's start the fun! First the main ribs of the left wing:
One down, 12 to go!
Left wing main ribs done!
And on and on...
Here I am done with the left wing that I had to hang to make room for the right wing:
At this point I am preparing to put the nose ribs on the right wing and the "gotcha" strikes.
When looking for the different nose ribs, I was missing a "forward trimmed" nose rib but I had an extra nose rib which was not forward trimmed: Houston, we have a problem!
As I knew I had trimmed the right number of ribs, I knew that my trimmed rib was somewhere and the only placed would be... on the left wing (hanging on the left) at the wrong place.
I found it there:
I am already working at drilling out the 6 rivets. Note that the room is limited between the ribs it's why rather than using a drill I am using a small electric screwdriver with a #30 drill. The good news: unriveting went swell.
Note for the builders: there is little difference between a forward trimmed rib and a non trimmed one; this is why I caught this error late. Luckily, I had not skinned the left wing before working on the right wing, following the order of the instruction book. At some point I considered skinning the left wing first because of the lack of space in my workshop, this would have been big trouble!
Then finishing the right wing skeleton was a cinch:

This is where I stand today, the last day of November 2010.

I just ordered the fuselage kit which should arrive in 8 weeks which put the delivery end of January. This means I have plenty of time to finish the wings (and find out "where in the world am I going to store them to make room in my workshop". Note: vertical stab and stabilator are already using a guest bedroom).

Brief count down:
Fuselage 2 months: end of March
Finishing kit 2 months: end of May
Avionics 2 months: end of July
Engine 2 months: end of September
Preparing for first flight 1 month: end of October
First flight: sometime in November/December 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment