Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Section 24 on the way


Although I spent quite some time lately in my shop, I somewhat neglected to report on my progress. As you can see, section 24 is all about the rollover structure over which the canopy will set. The rollover assembly made of thick aluminum profile reinforced by two doublers is supposed to protect the pilot in case the plane flips. Lots of deburring, countersinking, priming and riveting for a small amount of material. Very little progress visible for a long time which explain my lack of motivation for posting.

I had a hard time fitting the rollbar assembly into the base because I was 1/4 inch short in width. I had to use a clamp to stretch the rollbar more open. Once the rollbar was positioned over the lower fuselage it looked like this:
Doing the step 3 of page 24-3 meant that for match drilling the holes facing inside the fuselage I had to climb into my plane for the first time!
... then I had to undo everything to debur the holes of the rollbar base and prime the bases.


This is where I stand tonight. Tomorrow I will put the rollbar in place for the last time, hopefully.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you took the time to make airplane noises while you were sitting in the plane for the first time :) I've been wondering whether you hit a snag on the project since it's been a while between log entries. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not so fast, Ken, I will make airplane noise only when I sit in the plane for the first time, this will be soon and I will try to shoot a little movie, just for fun!

    ReplyDelete