Monday, March 19, 2012

Successful test of my " RV-12 Super Rack"

I spent some time doing R&D on a contraption that would allow me to put and remove the wings solo. This is a challenging project but also potentially very rewarding. I have currently two opportunities to share an airport hangar at a very attractive price with the following string attached: my plane will fit only if I remove the wings. While developing what I came to call my "Super Rack", I found out that the contraption was also fit to be used as a wing rack. I figure that the cost to build it is about $60 in material plus some labor... but after all we are all builders.  Here is an unedited video showing my first test. Although I show only the removal of the wing, I also did the install solo but it took a bit longer due to my lack of experience with both tool and process. The video although crude shows that my concept works and will be ready for prime time with little more tweaking.

The following video shows the wing and Super Rack stowed in my workshop:

1 comment: