Thursday, June 7, 2012

Two Years Already!

Time flies but not my plane, yet!
As the 2 year anniversary of the start of my RV-12 project nears, it may be a good time to provide an update to my fellows blog readers. Two years ago, I was not only a green plane builder, I also had to learn to fly, two big milestones on my bucket list. I got my Sport Pilot license just a year ago but I'm not done yet with the build although it does not bother me at all. It has been a great experience, discovering the fellowship within the builders/Flyers community, including EAA Chapter 1114 and I dread a little that it will end too soon.
Here is where I stand more in details:
I just received the Avionics Kit ( Dynon Skyview, Auto Pilot) plus a number of upgrades recently released by VANs like the new more reliable electric plugs for the wings. I have only one kit left to order: the Rotax engine (ouch! says my wallet). At this point I expect to spend the coming summer in my backyard workshop (a convenient commute of 30 seconds from my home). Comes Fall, I will have to move to an airport hangar for the final steps before the first flight (who knows, it could even take place on December 17th!). After the testing phase (just 5 hours for E-LSA) , I expect to do trips between Raleigh and Jefferson which will cut my commuting in half. Of course taking into account pre and post flight plus the commute to/from the airports it will be a wash at best compared to driving but much more fun!

1 comment:

  1. You've made some really good progress. It takes time to build a plane. Keep on going! :) Best, Thomas

    ReplyDelete