Thursday, July 19, 2012

Full Speed on Avionics!

I took the opportunity of my daughter's Anne visit to go full speed into the avionics retrofit.
We soon were submerged into dewiring some of the old wiring as well as adding new harnesses. The main challenge in section 43C is that it has been targeted at people who had the old avionics, not people like me who wired for the old avionics but never installed any avionics as we were aware of the Skyview coming "soon". Already when you follow the instruction dutifully, it is sometimes difficult to interpret some steps as VANs is not holding your hand closely but here I have first to remove/skip the instructions that refer the D-180 avionics. As the wiring of the old avionics would have change somewhat the wiring that I left unconnected, I have really to understand what I am doing, may be not a bad thing after all but very time consuming. Anne's help sped-up the process by replacing my loud thinking with a dialog filled with disagreements on the interpretation of the instructions. Eventually we found our way through the rewiring including rerouting new harness through an already packed central tunnel and reaching the area where the new ADAHRS (Air Data Altitude Heading Reference System) will soon be installed (about mid tailcone under the top skin). I also really appreciated (and may be somewhat abused) the flexibility Anne's younger age and Yoga practice enjoys compared to my stiff joints and heavier build. To make a story short, she did most of the crawling as shown in the following pictures:

The toughest part was routing the wires under the instrument pannel

Look Dad, only one hand!



We hid the extra wires in the central tunnel after making a "neat" bundle

A clean instrument shelf after rewiring 

 Anne viewed from the end of the tailcone, rewiring the ADAHRS

Anne's view of the tailcone while she is sitting in it, rewiring with the instructions between her feet

No comments:

Post a Comment