Saturday, November 24, 2012

Bad news and good news

This morning I find on VAF Forum that VANS is issuing a Service Bulletin to take care of a Landing Gear problem that led to skin wrinkles following loosening of the landing gear fasteners. This is the VAF Forum posting:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=93410
I will receive the retrofit kit associated with this service bulletin in the future (as the SB is not official yet no official information is available from VANs concerning the schedule of shipping.
The bad news is that I will postpone my fuselage painting until this retrofit is done. The good news is that it did not come after painting and engine installation which would have resulted in a more difficult work. As the fuselage has to supported on stands while the landing gear is removed, it is preferable not to carry the weight of the engine during this phase. If my engine which is scheduled to arrive in one or two weeks arrives before the retrofit kit I will have to postpone engine installation too.
Overall, I consider myself lucky compared to the builders who are flying now: they will have to take the fuel tank out, purge the brake lines, get rid of the paint around the rivets that need to be drilled out, etc... all things I don't have to do.

I received the filter I had ordered from VANS following the mishap related earlier while installing the Auto Pilot roll servo. I decided to use one tie wraps each to secure filter and plug and I am happy with the result, easier to do and safer on the capacitor as the associated tie wrap needs less tension than the one used to secure the plug.
 Here is how it looks now:


I also secured the plug with a smaller tie wrap also used to route some wires.

No comments:

Post a Comment