Sunday, February 13, 2011

... And a big mistake is avoided!

I learned two lessons today:
- VAF is a great forum and provides a priceless support through it's members
- Showing what I am doing in my Blog not only helps other builders but also helps me.

To make my story short, Dave Still who is the builder of RV-12 kit 500 after looking at my flapperons picture of yesterday sent me a message telling me that my flapperons looked identical while they should mirror each other. I immediately realized the mistake I had made and went to my workshop to correct it. I also spent a couple hours bringing the right flapperon at the level of the left one, drilling the counterweight. Here is the picture of the two flapperons in the mirror configuration (compare to yesterday picture)
Close call: thank you Dave Still!


Before:














After:





Note to builders: If you make the same mistake, the correction is simple (provided you have not riveted and drilled the counterweight!): just exchange the inboard A 1204 and outboard A 1204 nose rib on one flapperon (in my case it was the right one). This is all it takes to create the mirror configuration.

On the picture the right flapperon is on the left and the left one on the right

No comments:

Post a Comment