Saturday, April 16, 2011

Done with page 23-02 and the Longerons

I even spent some quality time with my freshly minted Longerons

The hard part was the bending of the last 6" at a 4 degree angle.
I have the feeling to have gone through an initiation after spending almost a week on this page 23-02.

BigJohn method worked well but what helped most is that I bought a 2 pounds rubber mallet. The one I was using was half that. The instructions are not very clear in this regard: what is a "Heavy Soft Face Hammer"? Even so, I still discovered a few things: when you are finished bending the end to the right 4 deg. angle, you find out that the end is also bending downward. You then unbend it upward to find out that it is now bent only 3 deg... etc
This thing has a life of its own!
When eventually I was finished, it dawned on me that I had marked the beginning of these 6" ending the longeron with the initials of "Start Of Bend", the term used by VANs and I found it was very appropriate!

1 comment:

  1. Good to hear you got them done. It's a big hurdle in the build process. Congrats! :) I was just helping my dad with his 12. chuckbuildsaplane.blogsplot.com He went through two rubber mallets.

    ReplyDelete