Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Section 23 Started but....





... In the last couple of days I had to fight a battle on two fronts:


  • I worked on the infamous Longerons bending, a well known ordeal requiring patience and lots of concentration

  • My laptop died on me, without warning, leaving me naked in the middle of my tax filing entirely relying on Turbo Tax

I am glad to have emerged from these battles with no loss and confident about the future of this project. I am writing this on my new laptop, a cheap HP Pavillion, after finishing tonight my two longerons bending. I have been lucky, first to have a back-up only 1 month old and that the disk of my dead laptop was intact, allowing me to recover it's content (with the help of the "Geek Squad" from Best Buy).


As fort the Longerons, here is page 23-02:



I avoided the crude method of bending described above by VANs and requiring lots of banging. After reading about the hardship of some fellow builders with the hammering, I bought a Longeron Die which allows to do the bending in a vise. It is still a cumbersome painstaking process because a great precision is needed to conform to the curve on the template. It took me two days to do the two longerons because of the learning curve (pun intended!). I could now do one in 1 hour... too late!

I still have a problem with a "straight bend" at the end that I can't do with the Die. I need to consult the VAF Forum.

No comments:

Post a Comment