Monday, July 11, 2011

Section 29 done, Fuselage over!

It went faster than expected, reason: as I will install the Dynon Skyview there is no point working on the instrument panel which will be changed from what I received in the fuselage kit. I will not know more about the Skyview retrofit until VANs releases the Skyview as the E-LSA certified RV-12 glass cockpit.
Here are pictures that proof that the fuselage kit is complete.

My daughter Anne came to help me finishing the fuselage kit. She is tapping the screws for the aft window in the roll bar
 Anne was the first to sit in the pilot's seat. Not having a pilot license, she abstained to make airplane noises which I feel entitled to do since I am a licensed sport pilot!

This is the unfinished instrument panel, still having the old Dynon instruments cutouts and candidate for scrap.

A few words about the finishing kit: As the delay announced by VANs had elapsed without news of the delivery, I called and was flabbergasted to learn that they had not received my confirmation and therefore not shipped! After checking, I indeed found out that I had forgotten to send back the confirmation note that VANs had sent me after receiving my order (and taking my $3K deposit). You would think that VANs would call when not receiving the form after a few weeks... I guess they have enough business and are not trying hard to get more? Anyway this has been corrected and the shipment is supposed to take place this week. It's not a big deal as the Skyview retrofit will likely take a couple of months to become available, I will have plenty of time to work on the finishing kit. Still, in these days and times, I am surprised that VANs is not trying harder to get their stuff out of the factory; we are talking of a $7K check hanging on a low branch and they make no effort to pick it up! I wonder if it's good or bad news?

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on another major step! You're an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ken, but as far as I am concerned, the EAA is my inspiration and mentor (just behind Orville and Wilbur, of course!)

    ReplyDelete