Friday, February 17, 2012

A Dirty Job in Perspective

This is supposed to become a fuel tank:


And this is how these parts look once put together:


Several challenges lay ahead:
- The dirty part: while riveting, all parts that could be a source of leak have to be sealed with Proseal, a nasty compound, black, gooey which is a mix of two compounds that have a 30 minutes delay before it gets hard and unusable.
- The instructions have to be adapted: following an accident in which the deformation of the central channel on which the tank is anchored led to the tank getting torn open (no fire or casualty thank God!) a modification has been issued after I received my kit. New instructions exist for the new kits and retrofit instructions for the tanks already built but not for my particular case.
I had the option to buy the tank already built but I think I made the right choice building it myself. As a fellow builder told me, on a critical part like this one, who do you trust more you or an unknown shop who put it together for you?
My choice has already been rewarded: had I ordered the built tank, I would have now to tear it apart to implement the modification!
Here I am, "à pied d'oeuvre" as they say in France but more like my back against the wall...

No comments:

Post a Comment