Friday, February 24, 2012

Tank 75% built

This is how a 75% tank built looks like:
Missing the top skin and the fuel sending device and its support plate over the hole in the front. Missing also is a lot of cleaning inside and outside the tank as sealant has been generously spread around all holes and rivets and has seeped everywhere (some cleaning already took place at the time of the photo).
Let's recap this memorable day.
Terry Gardner, Chapter 1114 tech counselor, showed up early and I am grateful for it. As much as I thought that I could do the job alone, I was wrong, at least it would have been way more stressful with just one pair of hands and eyes.
Two major challenges:
- There is a number of different rivets involved, sometimes in very close locations and it is easy  to make errors
- The sealant, a nasty gooey stuff eventually wind-up everywhere, first on the parts, then on your tools, then on your gloves and finally on everything your gloves touch. With two people, one can clean while the other works and once cleaned he can hand parts or tools to the other guy who is too sticky to do it himself. Of course the roles switch all along depending on who is the stickiest!
Where I thought the job would take one hour, it took the two of us 3 and a half hours and I spent the rest of the day cleaning and putting parts and tools in order.
The dry run I made before was priceless as I knew upfront how things would come up and look like.
I appreciated Terry's skill as a tool maker: we found that one squeezed rivet was out of reach of my squeezer's yoke ... by about 1/32 of an inch. Personally I would have gone for a smiley but Terry ground the 32nd off the yoke, at the right spot, something I would never have thought of (it probably helped that it's my yoke, not his! :-)). For you builders reading this, it is the bottom center squeezed rivet on the stiffener on the back skin. I had missed it in the dry run when I fitted my yoke with the holes to check the feasibility.
What a day!
We did not make many mistakes, just two rivets had to be drilled out and I found during the cleaning that we had missed one hole that was covered with sealant.
Two useful accessories I strongly recommend for handling sealant:
A Dymo digital postal scale bought at Office Depot with a 1 gram precision allowing to mix small quantities of sealant and avoid waste.
Big 2oz syringes bought at CVS pharmacy (they asked me what I would do with them!) that have a nozzle wide enough to spread the right  amount of sealant on the mating surfaces and around the rivets' shop heads.
Another great assist from Terry:
There is an area around the fittings used to connect the tank to the fuel lines (one pick-up and one return) that is separated from the rest of the tank by baffles. There are holes at the bottom of the baffles that need to be kept open. Terry found that these holes ended up being too small to allow to feed the engine some 5 gallons per hour. I will investigate this with VANs and if needed will enlarge them but be aware that, although pinpointed in the instructions, this area is prone to clogging with sealant and needs to be cleaned-up early. In the picture below I plugged two wooden picks in the holes to show where they are located:
Here is what VANs had to say about the two little holes:
Their function is to prevent the engine to starve in case of nose up for a go around performed under low fuel conditions. For this reason, they have to be not too big so that the fuel in the small area around the fuel lines does not empties too fast into the larger part of the tank when the nose goes up. There is a tricky trade off to be made here and I was told that it was tested by VANS which I believe because it would be a devastating liability in case of accident.

... more fun to come soon enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment