Tuesday, February 28, 2012

RV-1 Restauration Webinar

Took place today with the participation of Dick VanGrunsven. I saw it as a kind of first act for the upcoming Air Venture celebration of Vans' life achievements. I learned quite a bit about Van's beginnings and best of all, first hand! Quite impressive, he also spoke about his relationship with Ray Stits as the RV-1 was a modified SA-3A Playboy designed by Stits. I learned with glee that Van's plane of choice today is the RV-12 he uses to commute to work. I got the feeling that the secret behind the "flies like an RV" badge is Van's relentless focus on weight and drag in all of his designs and it all began with the RV-1.
In the end I had the honor to get the first question answered by Van! (all right, sorry, I could not help!)
Link to the archived webinar:
http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=1481101640001

No comments:

Post a Comment