Thursday, March 24, 2011

Page 21-16 : I hit the bottom!

This is what's at stake:

First challenge, there is a gap of about 1/4 inch between the holes of the skin and the holes of the ribs over the baggage compartment (lower half on the picture). After analysis, this is caused by the assembly sitting on the table with both ends pushing up. Having the assembly resting on a 2X4 positioned in the middle tunnel allowed the baggage area to bend enough to adjust for the gap.
I clecoed the bottom skin before completing step 2. This allowed to work on a stable skin while riveting the nutplates.
After hitting the bottom I see nutplates hell!
There are four nutplates per access hole, 5 access holes time 2 rivets: a total of 40 AN 426 rivets to set with the squeezer. First let's get orbganized, the AN426 rivets are easy to set so I don't need my handle extensions which makes the squeezer lighter to handle. Second I need to inspect the nutplates under the skin to see if they are well positioned before riveting and to check the rivets once they are set. here is how this is done:


I lock the nutplate with a self locking miniplier and inspect below with a miror before and after squeezing.
Here is the result one hour and 20 nutplates later:
If you enlarge you will see the 4 nutplates around each hole.


Now I'm ready to rivet the bottom skin but it's too late so I will call it a day, a day in which I hit bottom, saw nutplate hell and survived to face more building challenges... tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment